Monday 6 April 2009

Violence Against women


By Walter Astrada

winning photographer of the Alexia Foundation award for Professional Photojournalism 2009



"Violence against women is not only the most widespread example of a human rights violation, but probably the least evident, going largely unpunished. This is shown by the reports published and research conducted by the United Nations, international human rights agencies and the global women's and feminist movements which have been denouncing this situation for decades.

It takes many forms, from domestic abuse to rape, sexual abuse and harmful cultural practices ranging from genital mutilation and honour crimes to premature marriage. In the context of wars in which most of the refugees and displaced population are women and children, women are raped, kidnapped, mutilated and used as sex slaves; the systematic rape of women and girls has been used as a weapon in numerous armed conflicts."

Walter Astrada

on Violence against Women

I found all of Walter's photos deeply moving & provocative

Today listening to Weary by Amel Larrieux


This woman is growing weary
Of having to be so strong
Of having to pretend I’m made of stone
So I won’t end up with no broken bones
I can’t fight every battle alone

I want someone to lift me
Heal my wounds and give me kisses on my head
Say words that should be said
Fear is not the matter
I would so much rather open up my heart
And lay down my guard


2 comments:

  1. Eva,

    Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. This one of yours is an interesting one to me, and close to my heart, as well. I took a look at these photos by Walter Astrada. Beautiful images. Pictures are such curious creatures to me, though: a single moment in time, rarely given voice or words to describe their content. I wonder how these women view them, how they would represent themselves, given the opportunity. Is this the story they would tell?

    Thank you for being one more voice adding to the conversation on VAW, and other human rights issue. I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you to you Brandi ~ I know we share the same viewpoints. I too look forward to sharing with you online on human rights issues.

    ReplyDelete