Sunday 9 August 2009

But Jesus heard my cry...

"My dreams are like torment,
My every moment.
Voices of my brain
Of friends that were slain,
Friends who died by my side of starvation
In the burning jungle and the desert plain.
But Jesus heard my cry
I was tempted to eat the rotten flesh of my comrade."

Jal was bornin Sudan, "1980" he thinks. His father a rebel. His Mum killed by rebels. Soldiers raped his sister three times. He watched his aunt raped before his eyes and his entire village burned to the ground. At the age of seven he slept with an Ak47. One of the "lost boys of Sudan"~ a child soldier. Anger was white rage. Everything lost~ only thing to gain was revenge.

"I wanted revenge because I've witnessed my mom beaten in my face. I've witnessed my auntie getting raped. I've seen my village burned down. And that's so much bitterness, wanting to know who's this person doing all these things."

Very few people let go of this anger to turn it around. Most become so embittered and recycle the rage back into ruining more and more lives. Instead Jal has been restored. He was found in a refugee camp, adopted by aid worker Emma McCune and sent to England.
~ he now works to raise funds through his story and music for children in Africa.


"Jal's narrative flows between darkness and light, the terror that befell his family and kinsmen, the horrors he went on to inflict upon others, and a deep-seated desire to set things right." ~ Washington Post

No comments:

Post a Comment