Monday 16 March 2009

Homelessness






These last few days I have been thinking about homelessness ~ reasons for it and those who try and bring about change for this. I have been very much inspired by the amazing House of Cards advert created by Leo Burnett featuring Radiohead for the charity ~ Shelter


Online I have been moved by numerous stories of how virtual communities are coming together to help the homeless.

Here’s one example of how a “FlashMob” was organised in Vancouver, after just one Tweet in December 08, to provide blankets for those sleeping rough. (Twitter helps Homeless)

Sometimes it takes more than that ~ its recognising that those on the streets are the most invisbile and disregarded by society and its hearing their stories that brings us closer to undertsanding their needs.They come from all walks of life but often have simply lost faith in their abilities to face the world.The greatest things you can do is befriend.

I also discovered a new video blog called Invisible TV that gives a voice and face to the homeless documenting their stories across the web.


“To have the confidence to actually do something about where you are is especially hard because you have to build up that confidence. By the end of the time you come on the streets you've lost all confidence in yourself and you think I cant do it even if I try I'm not going to be able to do it.”

~ Rebecca, a once homeless woman, who set up the charity in Australia Rebecca’s Community


This week I gave several pairs of socks to the homeless person who made this photograph.



This photo was taken the day they went homeless.

October 31st 2008.

I know them personally and try to help where I can. This person is my friend and someone I respect a lot. It’s a situation that can face anyone, regardless of stereotypes.

I too was homeless for a short time when in between jobs in Asia. I slept in a hovel, with several others, men and women, toilet and shower were shared with strangers, no privacy whatsoever. It was frightening and it reduces your dignity. No air conditioning, windows were open and my body was covered in mosquito bites after sleeping on the not so clean sheets. I felt incapable but at the same time my pride made me feel I couldn't ask for help. One wonders how people can end up in such a vulnerable situation, but it happens. Fortunately for me, some friends intervened, offered a temporary place to stay, until I found a job. I was grateful to have had the benefit of an education that secured me employment within a short space of time. To this day I won't forget the stench, of sweating bodies, lonely for a resting place in the sticky tropical humidity.


This is the bathroom I shared with about 15 others.




"When we bear witness, when we become the situation — homelessness, poverty, illness, violence, death — the right action arises by itself. We don’t have to worry about what to do. We don't have to figure out solutions ahead of time. Peacemaking is the functioning of bearing witness. Once we listen with our entire body and mind, loving action arises.

-- Bernie Glassman

No comments:

Post a Comment