Monday 19 January 2009

Ubuntu


On this Day, on the Eve of the Inauguration of the First United States President of Colour;
On this day, the day dedicated to the Civil Rights leader, Martin Luther King;
On this day I have decided to begin a story.

A simple story, the story of people, everyday people, who like these great leaders, change the world. People who stand up for justice, people who stand up for truth, people who make a difference, people who give without taking, people who do small things that create great waves, people who make change.

Words, music, words, images, gestures that inspire & make a difference.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On my desk is a book, introduced by a man who in 2006 predicted that Barrack Obama would be President. A man who believed. Archbishop Desmond Tutu. I bought this book in Johannesburg, in the Apartheid Museum there.

The book is called "Dream"by PQ Blackwell and inside are the words and sayings of Martin Luther King. On the back of the book is an African saying ~
a saying that is the highest praise given to any man "yu, u nobuntu"

Ubuntu
is central to the African being of what it means to be human.

People with ubuntu are, who I wish to describe..., people who follow to the rhythm of "a person is a person through other people"

"I am what I am because of who we all are"
~ this is the spirit of Ubuntu


I myself am not a writer. I simply write as I am, simply and through all of us and for those of us who need a voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment